Search This Blog

Friday, May 15, 2009

What to do about the cost of hospitalization

I have a personal testimony concerning the cost of health care.

In 1979 I ended up with a mild case of blood poisoning from a puncture wound that later in the day became soaked in diesel fuel. I went to the emergency room right after work which was treat and release. Cost, 25.00 dollars.

In 1992 I again went to an emergency room for a treat and release (probably appendicitis).
Cost 150.00 dollars.

Around 2004 I ended up in the emergency room and was released again(this time under a doctors care) which I later had surgery.

Cost 1500.00 dollars, just for the emergency room.

The rate of inflation from 1978 till now would have made this last visit 75 dollars; a liberal figure, plus ex rays and tests.

1500.00 dollars is a 60x increase.

It is time to make it illegal for hospitals to be owned for profit any more.

Do the math people.

4 comments:

  1. It's time to make it illegal for people to make things illegal, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say if you want low medical costs then it is time to make it illegal to own a hospital for profit.

    ReplyDelete

My policy is: I will delete any comment that does not meet my specification for the truth.

Before you comment remember one thing. The vast majority of what I say are my own personal thoughts and insites. Though the norm for a reporter is to back up what he says with data and info I am not a reporter nor a pundit. I am a plain old American having my say..........